What you need
- 1 cup skin-on, split black lentils (urad dal)
- butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 green chile peppers, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbs. Heart Shape Indian Garam Masala Seasoning Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Place the lentils into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak 4 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
Heat the butter or olive oil in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat; cook the onion, green chile peppers, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil until the onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Stir the lentils into the onion mixture with 1 cup water; season with salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir the tomato, and turmeric into the mixture. Cook until the lentils are cooked through, about 10 minutes more, at the end add Heart shape Indian Garam Masala Seasoning Oil. Garnish with the cilantro to serve.
Makes 4 servings.